Friday, June 29, 2012

Eat, Pray, Love – My Review


A few years ago, everyone was raving about the book Eat, Pray, Love, but I never had the chance to pick it up. However, to celebrate JIAM2012, I decided to branch out from my usual fantasy audiobooks and pick up this book, and I just finished the last track!

As I review the book in my mind, my first thought is that I can hardly relate to it at all. I am not yet in my thirties; I have not been married, much less divorced; and I am still dreaming of the day when I can afford extensive international travel. Despite all that, I was able to understand the author’s desire to search for spiritual peace, or god.

I grew up in a church that, as an adult, I learned was complete and utter bullshit. Because of this, I wanted nothing to do with churches, god, or religion for a while. As time passed and the ingrained religious reactions faded, I found myself curious about what various religions were really about. I will not say I went into as much research as the reader did, but I was finally able to reach my own spiritual peace. It is because of my own search that I found the author’s own expedition interesting.

Unlike many people, I will not rant and rave about how fantastic this book was. In truth, I found it enjoyable and interesting, but not fantastic. I am glad I read it, and I did glean something from it, besides an intense craving for gourmet pizza. :)

In regard to the audiobook in particular, I liked how the author read the book herself. I feel this adds something to the story because her emotions are put into the words.

So this is my little, quick review:
Eat, Pray, Love is an enjoyable book that you will not regret reading. It is well written and informative of one person’s experiences and perspectives.

Happy JAIM2012! Now, onto my next book – The Magician King by Lev Grossman!

No comments:

Post a Comment