This week brought a very exciting experience for me. I bought my first car! I was very sad to see my old mustang drive away, but the new car represents all that lies in my future. :)
My new car is a Subaru Forester! I picked out this car because, even though I loved driving my mustang, I needed a car that would meet the following requirements: 4WD/AWD for snow or dirt roads, a bigger second row seat for friends/family, and space in the back for the puppies. My new Forester meets all these things, and it has a roof rack for bikes/Christmas trees/etc... Huzzah!
After the excitement of purchasing a vehicle, you face the stress of getting it registered and claimed. Luckily, the dealership helped me with the registration, and my insurance only took a few minutes. However, getting my car registered for my county sticker was more difficult than it needed to be. I hope other counties are not as aggravating, but for anyone living in Loudoun County, Virginia – good luck!
Because I had such a stressful time getting my county decal, I have decided to include a nice set of instructions in today’s blog. Hopefully, Google will do its job and direct people to these instructions, saving them all the headaches I had to deal with!
To Claim a New Vehicle on Your Personal Property Tax in Loudoun County:
- In an internet browser (IE9 does not fully support this site yet), navigate to this exact URL: www.loudoun.gov/cor.
(Do not attempt to search for this site on Google, because it will not direct you to the correct page. Also, trying to navigate from the loudoun.gov home page is ridiculous, but if you insist on doing so, this is the path to follow: Home>Government>County Departments>Departments A-G>Commissioner of the Revenue)
- In the left-hand menu, click Online Services.
- On the Online Services page, under Vehicle Personal Property Division, click Register a Car, Truck, Motorcycle, or Motor Home.
- On the Disclaimer page, read the information and click Yes.
- On the Personal Property Tax Declaration page, select the Property Type.
- Click Continue.
- On the Add Account page, fill in all the required information.
- Click Submit.
- On the Registration Confirmation page, print a copy for your records.
After adding the new vehicle, you can get your county decal mailed to you by doing one of the following:
- If you have unpaid personal property taxes, you have to pay them before requesting your new decal.
- If you are up-to-date on all personal property taxes, call the Treasurer’s Office (703-777-0280) and request that the decal be transferred. You will need both the new car account code and the old car account code.
- If you are new to Loudoun County and have never paid personal property tax here, go to this URL (http://www.loudoun.gov/FAQ.aspx?TID=66) and follow the instructions listed under the first question.
I hope this helps you get your new car registered with Loudoun County. Believe me, you do NOT want to put this off, because there are multiple tow truck companies that regularly patrol neighborhoods looking for cars with no decal!! (This I know from experience… the bastards.)
Enjoy your new vehicle! I know I will. :D