Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bluemont Vineyard and Great Country Farms


One of my favorite places to visit is Bluemont, Virginia. Just a half an hour outside of Leesburg, this is a great destination for adults, kids, and dogs. The reason this location is so fantastic is that it is home to both Bluemont Vineyards and Great Country Farms, and the best part is that they are right across the street from each other!

My most recent trip to Bluemont included my friends Nikki and Renee, and their children. Since it is such a great place, more friends and family joined in, and we had quite an energetic group!

If you have children with you, I suggest beginning your day at Great Country Farms. For a small entrance fee, you can have hours of playtime on their countless mazes, slides, jumping pillow, and more. It’s a great way to wear out the kids, as well as get you a free tasting at Bluemont Vineyards. :)

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the kids playing on the farm. (Notice that some of the “kids” are not quite kids. heehee)

The giant jumping pillow


Playing on the Spider web


Double-barrel slide


We played at Great Country Farms for hours, and we barely touched all the activities. The farm also has pick-your-own events throughout the year. I’m planning on going back soon for strawberries. :)

Once the kids are sufficiently worn out, I recommend driving across the street and up the mountain (it is rather steep, but if my mustang could make it, your car can too!) to Bluemont Vineyards. There are some play areas around the building if the kids still have energy, or you can get some crackers and cheese plates for everyone to snack on. Bluemont also serves different meals over the weekend. It changes week-to-week, but you can always call ahead to find out what is being served. My personal favorite is the Lamb Chili that they make in February. It is so good that I called ahead to reserve three servings this year!


Even if you have been once before, I recommend doing the wine tasting (remember, it’s free with the entrance fee at the farm!), because they tend add new wines each year. On this trip, Dan and I picked up bottles of their Meritage, Farm table red, Petit Manseng, and the Blackberry dessert wine. Even though we did not buy a bottle on this trip, I highly recommend the Strawberry dessert wine. It smells like the best strawberry jam and tastes just as good.


With the weather quickly turning to spring and summer, make sure to put Bluemont on your list of local places to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment